Like most people my age, or so I'm told, I listen to my music too loud. According to doctors, I will pay for this youthful indiscretion with premature deafness or tinnitus, an eternal buzzing sound in my ears. Both sound awful, but let's be serious; Willow Smith's new single is just too good to listen to at half volume.
But in the interest of preserving my hearing, I've been making conscious attempts to turn down the volume and even change my listening habits. I've traded in throbbing bass lines for (gasp!) talk radio.
NPR is the best resource for national and international news, but for a closer look at my neighborhood, Radio Chinatown has proved to be the most interesting. It's a hyper local radio show based in, yep you guessed it, New York City's Chinatown. The site features quick, easy-to-digest sound bites with topics that range as widely as exposés on street cart produce to the history of chop suey. And while the site doesn't update as often as I'm used to (thanks, 24-hour news cycle), each piece is well-produced and informative, so I'll take quality over quantity in this case. Tune in now to listen to artist Maya Lin discuss her design for the new Museum of Chinese in America Musuem building that just opened a few weeks ago. Happy listening!
Friday, October 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment